[Asterisk-Users] For the Australian Asterisk users

Shaun Ewing shaun at ewing.dropbear.id.au
Sat May 24 23:54:27 MST 2003

Hi Dan,

> They are several firmware images available for Cisco 7960. One of then is
> SIP, but it can Be MGCP or Skinny.
> I don't know if you can buy a phone with SIP image directly.. then you
don't
> have to pay more for another firmware. All I can say is that the quality
of
> the sound is brilliant on those phones, even with G.729 (maybe just a
little
> bit crispy).

Do you know if this covers the 7960G as well?

The product literature I've found on the 7960G says "The Cisco IP Phone
7960G is `multi-protocol enabled' supporting Session Initiated Protocol
(SIP), Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP), as well as Cisco's CallManager
Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP)."

The product literature on the 7960 doesn't seem to mention SIP support. This
seems to imply that the 7960G is SIP enabled "out of the box", but it
doesn't specifically say it.

I don't personally like the idea of paying around $950 for the phone and
cable and then having to fork out yet another $288 for the SIP support,
especially if it's just a download - it seems a bit ridiculous to me.

> The same aplies to ATA-186. They are two images: one with Skinny and MGCP
> and the other one with H.323 and SIP.
> Unfortunately (or not?) you cannot use one line with H.323 and one with
> SIP..

This is getting me worried. Can you buy the ATA-186 with SIP support out of
the box, or is that more money?

The decision to purchase all this hardware isn't one I've taken lightly, and
if I'm going to be bitten by unexpected charges I'll have to rethink this.

Regards,
Shaun