[Asterisk-Users] Free World Dialup behind NAT

Shaun Ewing shaun at ewing.dropbear.id.au
Sat May 24 21:06:51 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Brandt" <oliver_mlisten at gmx.de>

<SNIP>

> Anyway, I set up an acount and as long as my * box dials into the
> internet itself it works fine. But as soon as I try to connect from
> behind the NAT I can't here the other person (he can here me though).
>
> My setup:
> ATA -> * -> NAT -> Freeworld -> other person

I had the same problem.

I tried everything I could think of (forwarding ports, etc) with no luck.

It seemed (by looking at sip debug) that Asterisk was including its internal
IP address in the outgoing headers. My guess is that the udp reply packets
are being sent to that internal address - but as the person isn't on your
network they're going into a black hole.

The only way I could solve it was by using one of my public IP addresses (my
ISP gives up to 4).

Previously my config was similar to yours, but now it is:

Softphone -> * -> FWD -> other person
                 -> * -> LAN (other phones).

Once I had the * box on the public Internet and not behind NAT it worked
perfectly.

It would be interesting to see if there is a way to get around this without
having an IP - I'm not too keen on having this box on the public Internet;
I'd feel much more secure with it behind the firewall.

--Shaun