[Asterisk-Users] Who would use Asterisk SS7?

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 09:33:00 MST 2003

Hello.  I am new to this forum.  If this issue has been discussed already,
please inform me, but my STFW have indicated that it has not.

If SS7 were available on * would it make commercial sense to use it?  There
are case studies on the web (courtesy of the Death Star :->) for ISPs with
10,000+ subscriber lines showing clear cost savings in transitioning from PRI
to SS7 controlled IMT.  My question is focused on * and its users.  More
detail might help.  The discussion below assumes a North American PSTN and US
currency.

If a * user connects to the PSTN with a PRI it will cost $900/month (in 1998
according to [1]).  An equivalent connection with SS7/IMT is $3000/month
($2500 for two SS7 A-links and one or two route sets and $500 for the IMT).
The SS7/IMT method becomes a better deal when more than 72 VGC (3 x T1-24ch)
are needed.  Are there any * users that use or forsee using 72+ VGC to the
PSTN?

I know in at least one or two markets the monthly cost of 2 A-links is closer
to $1800/month.  I cannot verify any of the other costs in the model above,
but they seem about right.

Can anyone provide a similar PRI versus SS7/IMT cost model for any other
parts of the world?

[1] http://www.tmcnet.com/articles/ctimag/0998/featureBay.htm

TIA,
--