[Asterisk-Users] H.323 support is distrubuted with Asterisk (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] chan_oh323.so: Segmentation Fault)

Michael Manousos manousos at inaccessnetworks.com
Fri May 23 03:49:09 MST 2003

Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> This is futile.. I used asterisk-oh323 as a roadmap, I did not FORK your
> channel driver. The process we went through changed the entire logic and
> implementation, thus in my lawyer's mind chan_h23 is a totally separate
> work not requiring any such copyright notices. I gave you credit where I
> felt credit was due.  Remember, I tried to work with you in the beaning,
> but it was YOU that were unwilling to let others better your driver, so
> by the request of MANY people in this community, I decided to create my
> own H.323 channel driver.
>

> Also, I wast just informed by another Asterisk user (who wanted to be
> left nameless) that asterisk-oh323 mysteriously added new 'features' and
> many little things got better AFTER chan_h323 came out.  Granted this is
> just one persons private comment to me, but why would this person make
> these comments if they weren't true, when he just wants to terminate
> H.323 calls the best way he can?
>

> Lastly, I just had my lawyer contact the US Copyright office and they
> have no listing of asterisk-oh323 as being copyrighted.

We never tried to consult any lawyer because we don't worry about
palisading our work from guys like you. Your act (consulting a lawyer),
unveils your true motivation which is to protect yourself regarding
hunting you down for stealing our code. So don't bother, we'll never come
after you because we don't think you worth to. We didn't go to
any US Copyright office because we believe that just putting a
copyright notice in your code is enough for men with honour (don't you
?).

It is ridiculous that you claim someone told you (probably
whispered) that Michael added mysteriously new feaures in his channel
driver. COME-ON GUY are you serious??? Ok then, A hundred of users
came to me and told me that Jeremy is a bad boy and he tries to make
money based on your code. WHY DID THEY HAD TO TELL THAT?? BECAUSE THEY ARE
INDISPUTABLY TELLING THE TRUTH!!!. Stop saying trash and raise your level
a little.

> 'nuff said.. I will not respond to any further discussion on this topic.
>

> Jeremy McNamara

Michael.

PS:
The roadmap of a honoured open source developer:
FIRST STEP  :  Steal the code of an open-source project.
SECOND STEP :  Reface it a little.
THIRD STEP  :  Change the project name (slightly)
FOURTH STEP :  Discourage peolpe from using the original and promote
                his own as the better choice.

Ok sorry, I forgot to mention the most significant step.

FIFTH STEP: Find a lawyer and try to legalize the code stealing.