[Asterisk-Users] ISDN FXS for home use

Oliver Brandt oliver_mlisten at gmx.de
Thu May 22 19:27:11 MST 2003

Hi Florian,
thank you very much for your reply!

> As long as Asterisk only has to provide TE side you can pretty much use any
> Isdn4Linux supported card. IMHO CAPI is nicer, but also more costly.
I belive TE side means asterisk akts like a phone but you can't dial in
like a phonesystem. Could you tell me what TE stands for and what the
other side is calld? What is IMHO CAPI? I of course know what CAPI is
it's just the IMHO part.

> >2.)
> >A little box thats an FXO and FXS at the same time:
> >ISDN-phonsystem -> FXO/FXS-box -> PSTN
> >                               -> *
> >The Vega 50 on www.vegastream.com seams to be able to do this but it is
> >way to expensive for what I'm trying to achieve (saw prices round
> >$2000).
>
> Looks like a cool little box indeed. Too bad its so expensive, but its not
> surprising..

I'll keep looking around maybe I'll find it cheaper. I only found a
price on one site.

> Have patience, you can use HFC ISDN cards to do NT mode, but they way to do
> it still pretty much sucks right now. However, some work is being done as I
> understand it. One problem you will have remaining is support. I don't
> think it will be entirely trivial to make asterisk failover by bridging
> incoming to outgoing lines (esp. with ISDN) right now.

Now we are talking. Looked at their site and this seams to be what I'm
looking for. I'll try to find out more about the status of these cards.
Hopefully this will work soon, as this is would round up hardware for *
boxes nicely, at least for me ;-)

Thanks again!
Oliver