[Asterisk-Users] H.323 support is distrubuted with Asterisk (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] chan_oh323.so: Segmentation Fault)

Karl Putland karl at putland.linux-site.net
Thu May 22 10:15:02 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 10:37, Hemant Kumar wrote:
> I think * shouldn't include any driver, But should have information about
> both the drivers. It is upto the users which one they choose.

This brings to mind a quote from Tim Peters of Python fame.

"""There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch."""

as opposed to the the TMTOWTDI philosophy.

Now that being said,  It is "A Good Thing" that asterisk includes an
implementation of h323.  It provides * newbies with the resources
necessary to work with asterisk in a broader range of environments.  It
is also "A Good Thing" that there is a competing implementation, but it
must prove itself superior and compatible with the philosophy of the
asterisk development team.

I commend Jeremy for the work that he has done on the chan_h323
implementation.  Without it h323 support in asterisk might not be where
it is today.  He gave attribution to the original authors and the code
being GPL was free to modify and release a derivative work under the GPL
which he has done.

This subject has be hashed out previously on the list and will probably
continue to come up in the future.

To those that have issues:
  1.  Read the documentation
  2.  Try and make it work
    a. If it work, say "Thank You"
    a. If it fails, TRY AND FIX IT.

After all, asterisk is Open Source which allows us ALL to contribute
patches, fixes, and implementations to the benefit of the entire
community.  As a community we are more of a family and one that is
growing very rapidly lately.  Let us forgive our brothers and sisters
and put our energy into producing the best damn telephony platform on
the planet so we can RULE THE WORLD!

--Karl

--
Karl Putland <karl at putland.linux-site.net>