[Asterisk-Users] OT: BRI ISDN question

mike at pellatt.co.uk mike at pellatt.co.uk
Thu May 22 08:18:02 MST 2003

Well... I'm not an ISDN guru but a mere user. Though I'm sure the man in the street would consider me a guru...

Be careful over ISDN2e from BT and how you order it. The following options ARE available:

i) one number hunted over multiple ISDN2e lines
ii) A DDI range (planning fee £200) hunted over multiple ISDN2e lines
iii) one number delivered over a single ISDN2e line
iv) An MSN range (up to 10 numbers) delivered over a single ISDN2e line

what is NOT available is:
i) an MSN range delivered over multiple ISDN2e lines.

What this means in english (!!!) is that if you want more than a single number delivered over more than one line you're into the £200 planning fee - per number range. And if you started with a range of MSN numbers delivered on a single line, and you want those same numbers delivered over a further line or lines, in general you can forget it, since BT allocate DDI ranges from a different pool than MSN ranges (for administrative, rather than technical reasons I believe). They'll probably not be contiguous anyway, so you'd be into £200 per number (each being a range of one !!) even if you could do it.

ISDN2e can be delivered in 2 ways - "system" AKA "point to point" or "point to multipoint".
Point to multipoint allows multiple devices to be connected to the bus, and just one of them to respond to a particular number. For me, I have an Network Alchemy Cybergear Gold and an Asustek P-IN100-ST-D in one of the computers both connected to the ISDN2e line. I (currently) use isdn4linux to deflect certain calls without the 2 D channels being occupied. The Gold responds to all the MSNs bar 1, on which I am playing with * (having only discovered it a week or so ago and being MOST impressed). Point to multipoint is ONLY available on single-line ISDN2e. Once you start hunting over multiple lines, PtP is the only delivery on offer - and in this case only one item of CPE can be connected to the line.

These 2 presentations are the same physical interface - it's just the signalling that differs. The Gold, for instance, has a configuration option to choose PtP or PtM. Can't remember how isdn4linux handles it though. Or even if it needs to !! See, said I wasn't a guru.

Hope all this waffle helps. Oh yes, for single line you can specify PtP (System) or PtM at order time.

Mike Pellatt