[Asterisk-Users] fxo cards

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu May 22 08:12:43 MST 2003

First the reason why voice modems won't get you whre you want to be has
been covered many times in the archives for users like yourself. Most of
them that happen to have linux drivers are not cheap because they are
have the DSP in hardware and these also only do half duplex audio. Fine
for an answering machine, but misses the mark fro PBX or VoIP fun. The
ones that don't have a DSP on board are usually little more than a
little hardware glue and a soundcard. These rarely have drivers under
linux because it would require them to distribute the code for the DSP
that does V.90, X2, V.34, MNP and all the other patented and costly
handshaking protocols. So in this second class of hardware they also
don't usually distribute specs to make them work either.

At some point it might be nice to see the AMR based modems working since
it is exactly some glue to put the signaling out of band, and the audio
down to the MB and then passes it to a AC97 sound card built into the
MB. Genereic, and everyone with a semi new motherbard has one already,
they only will have to track down the adapter for their area.

Reasons why the X100P should be bought. For the most part, it isn't much
if any different from a higher end winmodem with the exception of it
doesn't have windows drivers. It already has been tested, and works with
linux. It has totally open source drivers that can be modified. It works
with asterisk now and won't require you spending weeks making a proper
channel driver.

And most of all, consider it your first bribe to Mark to make a change
to asterisk the way you want it to be. Without paying Mark, he does
things on his own time schedule. So if you don't feel like you can
contibute in any other way, this is a very good way to start. Pep rally
over.