[Asterisk-Users] 2 part question

Matthew Farley asterisk at wheatstate.net
Wed May 21 12:48:33 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 14:32, Derek Beaumont wrote:

> Is there a way to record your own voice messages (“Welcome to my PBX,
> Press 1 for …”) using asterisk and an analog phone, or do they need to
> be recorded using traditional voice recording software?

For a quick-and-easy way to record announcements using a phone and
asterisk, you can leave yourself (or a dummy mailbox) a voicemail of the
message you wish to record, which will be created in a properly
formatted .gsm file in
/var/spool/asterisk/vm/extensionnumber/INBOX/msg####.gsm

Then, just copy/rename that file to
/usr/lib/asterisk/sounds/whatevername.gsm and use it :) Not the higest
quality way to do this, I'm sure, but it's quick, effective, and you
don't have reconfigure your asterisk setup or get any other software to
do it. If you make recordings from an analog phone, be very gentle with
the switchhook when you hang up after recording the announcement... It
can be a bit loud on the recording otherwise.

Hope this helps!

> Also, I am confused as to why my replies to the message board are
> never indented.  Call this the ultimate newbie question, but how
> should the reply be worded so that I don’t screw up the nicely
> formatted list?

This I'm not sure about. Perhaps a setting in your e-mail composition
program? Just a guess...

-Matthew Farley
--
Matthew Farley <asterisk at wheatstate.net>