[Asterisk-Users] ISDN FXS for home use

Oliver Brandt oliver_mlisten at gmx.de
Wed May 21 11:34:25 MST 2003

Hi,

I'm looking for an ISDN FXS for home use (so the solution has to be
affordable :)
Let me tell you exactly what I want to do first. I want to connect a
regular home ISDN phonesystem (does not exist yet so I'm flexible with
that, too) to the ISDN-PSTN and Asterisk at the same time. I want to be able
to place calls through the ISDN-PSTN as well as through asterisk eg by
dialing 0XXXXXX (XXXXX standing for a phonenumber) for calls through the
PSTN and 9XXXXXX for calls through asterisk. This system will be at my
dad's home in Austria and so there is nobody who can fix the system if
something goes wrong (I live in Germany) and so it would be great if
placing regular PSTN calls will still work even if the * box is gone.
I've come up with two solutions but I don't know if they really work and
whether there is any other (better or cheaper solution. I also need some
advice on which hardware to use (as cheap as possible!!!). If you can tell
me the price along with a hardware suggestion it be great, too.

Solutions I came up with:
1.)
ISDN-phonesystem with 2 external S0 -> first SO interfacing PSTN
                                    -> second S0 interfaching *
With this setup what can I use to interface *?
2.)
A little box thats an FXO and FXS at the same time:
ISDN-phonsystem -> FXO/FXS-box -> PSTN
			       -> *
The Vega 50 on www.vegastream.com seams to be able to do this but it is
way to expensive for what I'm trying to achieve (saw prices round
$2000).

3.)
Hopefully a better/cheaper solution one of you can come up with.
Maybe using standard ISDN-Cards like AVM B1...

I've googled the web for quite a wile to find a solution but as I'm not
a native english speaker and I don't know too much about telco I was not
very successfull. I don't want to bother you with all the stupid
questions that came up but if anyboy knows a good site about the basic
telco terminology please let me know that would help me a lot while
googeling on this subject and I'd probably be able to understand the
results better.

Thank you in advance for your responses!
	Oliver