[Asterisk-Users] ATA type IAX unit ?

Gary gary at ausmail.com
Mon May 19 17:02:16 MST 2003

For some time now some have been working on a winIAX client, plus
others....

Now basically as I have mentioned before (& no one has correct it)
there are 4 types of clients....

1)	Softphones, eg msn, xten etc using all computer hardware.

2)	Softphones plus hardware, eg: a usb type adapter (mind you
there are some things not common available with these yet.

3)	Hardphones, basically your snoms, cisco 7960's etc...

4)	Hardphone interfaces... eg, cisco ata186.

Now over the months/years all these different options have been
discussed.

For (3) we have seen an IAX load for the Snom's which personally left
me thinking it was an overpriceds solution as you lost the
"functionality" of the Snom, Now if the Snom had IAX as an option,
whilst still retaining the normal Smon functionality, that would be
nice and if the price was ok, saleable (when I saleable, I refer to
Australia as well as the world :-)

Rumours abound about Grandstream as well, same applies, if the pricing
is right it will sell and sell well.

BUT, have we seen any results on (4) running Asterisk or a cut down
version as such like the ata-186 ??

I'll outline what I personally think would be a nice solution....

Basically an SBC (Single Board Computer) running linux, with a "webmin"
tyope interface to setup (& a reset to factory button hidden somewhere
:-)

Basically the unit could run Asterisk, but with many of the apps, it
might still need sip (maybe as an option), but it would only need a
basic dial plan and registration etc.

It should be powered by an external single voltage plug pack so that
locally "approved" power plug packs could be used (& saves shipping
weight for the supplier).

Its construction should be a "black box type" with a suitable form of
slot arrangement for any FXS &/or FXO ports.

This now is the important bit, especially for the "international
market".

The analogue port should be designed/constructed to meet international
approvals. The idea would be that that if say it was used in the us, a
US approved port could be used which might be cheaper to contruct, but
if done right the actual "port" assembly should be the only items
requiring Approval.

By using a separate "port assembly" with the same slot being capable of
having an FXO or and FXS port multiple slots could be let empty for
expansion. In fact you could even have an ISDN adapter.

In reality, I cant see what would be so hard except for the port
modules, which for australia I am speaking to a local manufacturer....
of course we will need hardware compatibility.

I will be interested in perples thoughts on this (both on and offlist.

Gary

.