[Asterisk-Users] Call between G.711 and GSM

Dan dtoma at fx.ro
Mon May 19 04:22:39 MST 2003

Hi,

> Will asterisk actually convert between two different codecs?????
> ie, a SIP endpoint running GSM and another running G.711?
It seems yes, if the endpoints does not have a common set of codecs
available.

> Wouldn't that add quite some latency?
Yes.

> I was always under the impression
> Asterisk did not recompress and was smart enough to negotiate the right
> codec at each end and just pass through the RTP packets.
It is, but when the two devices uses different codecs then.. what to
negociate?
When you register the two SIP phones on another SIP proxy (like FWD) then
when you try to call each other the call cannot be established. In Asterisk
it can.

BR,
Dan
P.S. I'm very new in the Asterisk world, so please be patient with me...;-)