[Asterisk-Users] Extensions.conf sugestion?

Dave Packham dave.packham at utah.edu
Sun May 18 14:45:54 MST 2003

Thank you. Ill start looking at the include statement.  I just wish I had some more exten type fields to work with.  like a comment/username etc.  this would help in the future with E911 and all.  being able to track location/person behind an extension.  maybe even tagging an extension with a billing code for the CDR database etc..

Dave

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 14:53, Dave Packham wrote:
> I cant think of a statement that will allow me to include/group the
> comments and extra text with an extension except by defining a
> start/end pair.
>
> <70902>
> ;this is going to stay here
> exten => 70902,yada
> exten => 70902,yada2
> exten => 70902,yada3
> ;and this too
> exten => 70902,yada4
> </70902>
>
> is this any clearer?
>
> or an I just loosing it?
>
> I thougt I was understanding it pretty clearly.  I just want to write
> a interface that wont trash the conf files by stripping comments and
> whitespace etc.

Lets start with the thought that you can modify the starting point of
the conf files. If you have to modify the confs to get to a good
starting point, then whats the problem. Secondly, why don't you take
your psuedo XML tags and just place them after a comment delimiter, and
all is happy then. Or instead of XML like tags, use mime style lines
;=============NextPart
This will let you split pieces up, and be pretty easy to parse coming in
as you know there isn't any embedding, or nesting. Using mimestyle lines
let you make the copy paste sections and modify the extenion number easy
without worrying about namespace in the psuedo XML.

These are just suggestions to help you over the hump.