[Asterisk-Users] Problems with "r" modifier in Dial - does not work in SIP channels?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun May 18 14:43:40 MST 2003

I can't seem to get the "r" modifier to work on inbound SIP calls.
The way I understood this to work is that the channel would be
answered, and a ring "tone" would be played to the channel.  This is
not very friendly in that it doesn't honor connection supervision
rules, but... who cares?  There are some instances where it may be in
my interests to get a "ringing" sound played to the caller.  As an
example, I have a service that hands me calls and does not do correct
connection supervision tone playback, and thus the caller doesn't
hear ringtones.  This is Bad, so I figured I'd just have Asterisk
immediately answer the line and play ringtones into the channel until
I answered.  But that method doesn't seem to work.

I've tried all of the combinations below.  At best, I'll hear one
"ring" tone, and then silence until the Dial times out.  ${PHONE} is
a SIP/xxxx extension, and the calls to these routines are also coming
in via SIP.  Voice works fine on the channels, once answered.

Does anyone know if there is something wrong with the "r" modifier on
SIP Dial application calls, or have you had experience doing this a
better way?

None of these methods work:

exten => 1234,1,Dial(${PHONE1},25,r)

exten => 1234,1,Answer