[Asterisk-Users] Sound Quality - Part 2 (mp3)

nathan nathan at yorkukhosting.com
Mon May 12 08:50:53 MST 2003

Hi All,

Thanks to the people that responded to my question. The suggestion of using SJphone instead of the Xten phone resolved the problem :-)

I now have another sound related problem! I've installed mpg123 and ensured that the binary is copied to /usr/bin as well as the default install location. mpg123 plays mp3s back perfectly via the desktop speakers, but when I playback an mp3 via the Queue function the sound is very distorted. I've tried re-encoding the mp3 file but this has no obvious effect.

Voice conversations (ISDN <-> SIP client) sound fine, as does the initial "welcome" message that is stored in gsm format. It is only the MP3 playback that suffers. Asterisk does seem to be having problems with mpg123. When I try to "restart gracefully" I get an "ouch.... broken data pipe" (or similar) message and have to kill the mpg123 process. Looking through the archive I've seen mention of the "ouch" error, but no resolution was offered.

Does anyone have any hints or tips?

For the record I'm running asterisk under RedHat 9 using a XP1600+ processor, Elsa PCI ISDN card and 384MB Ram.

Thanks,
Nathan.