[Asterisk-Users] Sound Quality

WipeOut . wipeout at linuxmail.org
Sun May 11 12:40:30 MST 2003

Your choppy sound is most likely caused by the use of the GSM codec.. The GSM codec seems a little picky about which IP Phones it is going to interoperate with.. I have still not been able to get it to work at all well with any of the softphones I have tried or my Snom 200's..

Best bet is to use the G.711 codec (aLAW or uLAW)..

I have been running RedHat 9 with Asterisk for over a month and its been fine so its not likely to be an OS issue (I had the same bad sound using the GSM codec with RH7.3 and RH8)..