[Asterisk-Users] Ha, just found a way around australia approvals......

Florian Overkamp florian at obsimref.com
Sat May 10 02:15:49 MST 2003

At 23:52 9-5-2003 +0800, you wrote:
>This may be true, but be very careful. In some countries such indirectly
>connected unapproved equipment is OK. In other places it is not. It can be
>quite hard, sometimes, to get a straight answer about what is allowed.
>When I lived in the UK many people said similar things were OK, but they
>were not (I think they maybe OK now, but not back then). The rules clearly
>stated that "equipment connect directly or indirectly" to the PSTN needed
>approval. The back of a switch is definitely an indirect connection.

Thats debatable :) If the intermediate system uses galvanic separation
(i.e. use a transformer with 1:1 coils to transport the signal) you are
very likely to be home free. You can easily argue in such a situation there
is no real connection (directly or indirectly) between the systems, they
just transfer the signal via electromagnetic fields.

This technique only works for analog systems though :) but there are
probably are alternatives ?

Florian