[Asterisk-Users] Ha, just found a way around australia approvals......

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu May 8 23:55:38 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 01:11, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> > > How does this help people using it at their own premises as a
> > > PBX ? It would mean you need to use VoIP to get the traffic
> > > from the colo to the office.
> > For a small install it wouldn't, but with GSM audio compression and IAX2
> > trunking you could combine 2-4 E1s of calls into a E1 data line that
> > could be terminated with a Cisco router. If you are charged more for a
> > E1 circuit that leaves the premisis, then you could make the charge
> > lower by aggrigating it into IAX before leaving the telco. Granted that
> > also assumes that the cost of the colo space is lower than the multiple
> > lines out to your site.
>
> In effect this means you have two options:
>
> 1) Pay $1500 for an E1 into your office using austel approved equipment
>
> 2) Pay $300 for some rackspace in a colo, plus at least $500 for a DSL IP
> connection to your office plus whatever the telco charges for an E1, which
> needs to be less than $700...
>
> (All pricing is guesswork on my side, in Aus$ and monthly pricing).
>
> Does anyone have more accurate numbers for these sorts of things?
> It really would be nice to see some numbers for prices of E1's from *
> friendly telco's and colo space where those telco's are present...

You missed the point here. You can have a E1 of private data from the
colo to your office terminated on cisco hardware. This gets 2Kbits raw
data into your location carrying up to 120 GSM IAX2 trunked calls over
the single E1.

I'm in the US, and I'll use dollar amounts I do know from quotes I have.
Rack space can be had for as low as $300 for a half rack here. Local
loop free as it is into the colo space next to the switch. T1 PRI of
PSTN connection should be about $250-300 each as opposed to the $650-700
for the loop + PSTN. And a private loop from the colo to my office would
cost $350 with no services on it. So it would take 2 T1s before it makes
sense.

$300 rackspace
$350 local loop
-----
$650 to start, almost the same as my current PRI quote
+250 for first PRI = $900, way more than my PRI
+250 for second PRI = $1150 Less than 2 PRI in my office
+250 for third PRI = $1400 or about the cost of getting 2 PRI in my
office.

So back to my original comment, it makes sense if you are deploying more
than one E1, and hopefully your prices are similar in nature to what I
have been quote.