[Asterisk-Users] SIPPROXD for SIP thru NAT

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu May 8 00:59:40 MST 2003

>Quoting Humberto Atristain <hatristain at megahospedaje.com>:
>
>>  Just for you to know I´ve tried the Jasomi Peer-point centrex with an
>>  ATA-186 behind 4, yes (FOUR) NATS, WORKS Fantastic , BUT
>>  is very expensive :(
>
>I've looked at Jasomi before, but can you tell us more ? How expensive are
>those boxes ?

My very, very cursory discussions with them ended when the intro
price of ~$X000 (USD) was discussed, PLUS the cost of doing the
custom software I needed. (I exclude X as a courtesy to Jasomi, but
suffice to say it was enough to buy at least half a dozen WELL
equipped Asterisk boxes.)  Asterisk can do what I need for
single-layer NAT, plus many other features at a much lower price,
which is really all I needed.  Plus, with some of the features I
think Mark hammered out this evening, I'm doing some tricks that
previously only Session Border Managers could do.  Notably, tagging
inbound requests from certain external SIP proxies and forwarding
them to contexts based on the proxy IP address, thus allowing for
service levels based not on caller, but on proxy, so individual rules
for each caller didn't have to be created in a gateway situation.

>How could we reach Jasomi level firewall-robust service (perhaps in * ?)

Hard question to answer.  Personally, as an example, I have had my
own home SIP hardphones behind NAT for months with Asterisk as a
"mediator" for various external SIP gateways as well as analog.
Since the NAT translation features were introduced, I have had few
(no) problems with that functionality.  I only have one layer of NAT,
though, and I don't have a "firewall" (whatever your definition of
"firewall" is.)   However, I have configured ATA-186 devices from
behind semi-paranoid Checkpoint firewalls with no difficulty, so I'm
confident in saying that I've made it work in a firewalled
environment with 100% reliabilty, at least with Cisco hardphones.

If you're asking about proxy-to-proxy functionality, I have no idea.
But if all you're concerned about is NAT'ed UA's, then I'd say that
Asterisk is there right now.  There are other issues which make make
it less reliable than the Jasomi solution (there are others in this
market, as well) but that is not the specific question you asked.
Firms like Jasomi should be shaking in their boots, as the flood of
Asterisk is now up to about their ankles, and the water is very cold,
and it promises to fill the room very quickly.  It will be hard to
compete with a multi-thousand dollar box where an open-source
solution can work as well for 1/6 the cost, except in those
(admittedly many) situations where enterprise customers are simply
clueless or full of FUD.  Don't get me wrong; I don't think that
Asterisk will ever "control" the market completely, despite the
slogans on Mark's whiteboard.  :)  I won't re-hash the "open source"
vs. "commercial" product argument here.  Competition is good, no
matter what the force is pushing the process.  However, the market
for NAT traversal devices is pretty specialized and technical, and
Asterisk will make big inroads with the savvy technicians who install
that equipment.  I'm a case in point - I didn't buy a Jasomi box
because I knew Asterisk could do the job for the requirements I had.
Jasomi will simply have to differentiate themselves on the other
features of their platform to make an appeal to the buyers.

Sorry for the long-winded talk; I have nothing better to do while
waiting for downloads/compiles right now.  :)

JT