[Asterisk-Users] Backup/Failover * Server

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue May 6 15:07:24 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 14:38, Dave Packham wrote:
> is there any way to do a failover/backup * server?  I know that the
> Cisco SIP sets have a proxy backup option but how does * handle that?
> can 2 VM servers mount the same spool/*/vm dir's ?
>
> I dont care about in call failure,  just want them to be able to pick
> up the line again and dial out with a backup server
>
> I think I can just keep the * config file synced and that might work.
> anyone tried this?

If you are talking VoIP, then any number of heartbeat apps should be
able to do what you want. If you are talking about a PSTN machine, then
you are complicated by a physical connection(FXO/FXS/E1/T1). I know at
least one of our PSTN providers has talked to us about redundant links
from different COs to make sure we didn't have a failure.