[Asterisk-Users] bandwith issues, ISP hosting services, etc

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Tue May 6 04:51:55 MST 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Steve Radich wrote:

> A trace from a public traceroute server in South Africa shows:

Hi,

The original poster mentioned South _America_, not South _Africa_.

But I'm interested in your posting.

But latency from SA to the "world" is a big challenge.

You posted:

> **** NOTE **** 250 ms may be a little slow to do a quality VoIP without any
> echo/delay - This is, I assume, tracing to fairly large pipes - not an ISDN
> user.  You may have to go with Colo closer to you instead of the US.

The thing is that you can't get much better.  Its a long way.

About 170msecs from a SAIX customer to a UK ISP - via the LINX. About
180 from that same SAIX customer to my NTL cable-modem connection here
in the UK.

I think its OK - but I'm going to set up a test to find out...

Steve