[Asterisk-Users] On-Hook ADSI

Jayson Vantuyl kagato at souja.net
Mon May 5 20:52:34 MST 2003

Hello list,

I have reason to believe that ADSI can be spoken to phones even when
they're onhook.  Is this true?  Does anyone know?

Right now, I'm having trouble figuring out how to do anything to an
onhook channel other than ring it.  Does this require a magic
application and some serious voodoo?  Any pointers?

I got onto this idea because I noticed that whenever I got voice mail on
a channel (indicated by the mailbox setting in zapata.conf) the darn
thing actually flashed that there were messages.  After doing a little
monitoring with ZapBarge and reading the code, I determined that there
is some sort of standard apparently related to Caller ID to allow for a
Message Waiting Indicator tone that will turn the light on or off.  For
those who care, the PowerTouch phones from Aastra support this famously
(and it has nothing to do with ADSI).  A big light flashes red and a
VMWI event is triggered (allowing, for example, the voicemail softkey to
show up only when messages are waiting).  It's extremely slick.

Since this tone plays onhook and apparently the ADSI spec is fine with
on-hook programming, I though that maybe I could use a special
application (maybe triggered by a call file in
/var/spool/asterisk/outgoing?) to load the application and program at
the phones offline.  Not sure of the implications of this yet but if
anyone knows anything, I'd be interested.

Finally, has anyone had any luck with programming softkeys with ADSI?
I've currently programmed a number of things into a phone, but I'd like
to work with some people to make, say, a * application with the sole
purpose of connecting a session to a preloaded phone application and
toggling different saved displays and their hotkeys.  At this point it's
just begging for someone to put together a server-side scripting
language to allow for some serious magic.  I can't help but think that
AGI should be involved somehow.  I'll post something on this when I'm
more coherent.

Jayson