[Asterisk-Users] bandwith issues, ISP hosting services, etc

Dan Fernandez danfernandez00 at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 20:38:59 MST 2003

I am looking into supporting around 20 SIP clients (ATAs, IP softphones, etc) distributed in around 10 different end points (in South America).  For the most part they all have narrow band connections 64kpbs, 128 at most and I´d like to use g729 all around (don´t have too many alternatives)

To start with, I will have one * with no gateway to the PSTN and eventually a few * boxes with termination at different points.

My main concern is the bandwith I will need on the site where * will be located. Currently I have 128kbps but what happends if:

1) Several users connect at the same time to check their voicemail, or run some other app. Is there a way to limit the number of simultaneous connections? that is can the user get a busy tone? I think that would be better than running out of bandwith and the user getting a bad connection.

2) Assuming all the phones are configured for g729 (and therefore no codec translation) can I assume that the RTP stream between any two point will no got through the * box?

3) What kind of bandwith do the colocation (shared) etc, ISP services in the US offer?  They all give you a monthly bandwith (ie 50GB, etc) but there is no mention of the guarantee bandwith for hosting apps like *-  Since for now i don´t need to terminate phone calls on the PSTN, will these be a good solution (rather than paying US150 for a 128Kpbs to host it from here)

Thanks in advance
Dan