[Asterisk-Users] SIP & Caller ID & outgoing line

Andy Powell andy at beagles-den.demon.co.uk
Sat May 3 03:15:51 MST 2003

Hi all

I have 2 snom 100's and an ix66 (sip aware firewall) set up with asterisk. I needed to register a number of lines so what I've done is make asterisk register all the lines i need (attaching them to an extention eg 1000) and then register each phone with asterisk. so for example

in sip.conf:

register => andy at sip.mydomain1.org/1000
register => andy at sip.mydomain2.org/1000
register => andy at sip.mydomain3.com/1000

then each phone has an entry similar to this:

[phone1]
type=friend
;secret=blah
host=dynamic
dtmfmode=rfc2833                		; Choices are inband, rfc2833, or info
defaultip=192.168.172.189
mailbox=1000           		 	; Mailbox for message waiting indicator
context=sip
callerid="andy at sip.mydomain1.org"

This all works fine, I can dial internally,externally and have voicemail. The problem lies in the identification of the caller.
When someone calls me, either internally or externally the caller id on the phone always says that the call is comming from asterisk@<ip of asterisk box> as you can imagine, it's not much help. What I (and i guess others) need is a way to pass the REAL caller information to the phones. Although asterisk IS calling me it's only routing the call.  The other problem is what is my outgoing sip number in this situation? since I /will/ want to change which line I am calling from how can I go about that? Should I change my sip.conf so that each of the registered domains appears on a different extention, then register the phone with multiple connections one for each exten and then use the phone to set the outgoing line before dialing?

Any help appreciated here... (and a special thanks to all on IRC who have got me going)

many thanks

Andy