[Asterisk-Users] The best simple solution (newbee)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Mar 31 17:21:45 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 13:38, sjaak nabuurs wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm very new to astrisk and I like to ask you as users with expirience what
> hardware to use and how to set this up.
>
> What I like to create is the followe :
>
> Use a normale phone dail a number >> astrisk >>(2Mbit) Internet(64Kb) >>
> astrisk >> Normal phone starts to ring and someone pick up the phone and
> talk and also phone reverse.
>
> Ther's so lot of hardware x100p phonejack linejack Cisco and more and more
> i've not a good idea what's good for me.
> I've read so much that now my brain is !@#$%^&*()_
> My main language isn't English so I understand everything for 90% and that's
> not enough to buy something like this.
>
> I just like to setup a simple and (low budget) configuration.
> I know that 64K line isn't that much but is it acceptable ?????
> If it's equeal to msn or messenger it's okay for me.
> My telephone bill is rissing like the sun.
> My familie oversea doesn't have any clue about computers so i like to setup
> this in linux so I can manage it..

If you only plan on it being used for 1 line, I'd say get a pair of
TDM10B cards. Stuff them in low end celerons for asterisk to run on and
configure to talk to each other. If you gsm you should have no problem
with the 64k link. Or better yet, Maybe for the simplicity, you should
look into getting a snom phone for the remote side. Nothing better than
telling them to just plug it into a ethernet jack, and it registers with
your asterisk machine. Price will probably be lower on the snom side,
and there won't be much in administration after it is set up and
working.