[Asterisk-Users] Channel Bank?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Mar 24 06:15:02 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 02:18, Benjamin Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently evaluating ideas for a phone system for our new office and
> I have a copy of Asterisk along with a couple of H.323 phones setup in
> the lab here. I'm very impressed - thanks for the great software! (I was
> especially impressed that the IAX connection to Digium worked out of the
> box like that - someone at Digium no doubt has a voicemail from me this
> morning!) ;-)
>
> What I was wondering (not being at all knowledgeable about telephony
> stuff) is are there different types of channel bank - and is there a
> specific one that is recommended or that people have had success with?

There are many kinds of channel banks. There are ones that are fairly
dense meant to terminate a T1 at the customer site. There is also less
dense devices that seem to be meant for the Telco where it will keep one
misconfigured or shorted line from taking out more than one line at a
time.

Digium has ties to Adtran.
I like Carrier Access and have one of their Adit 600s in my home.
While the Zhone Zplex devices work, there have been some stability and
support issues with them.

There is many more names than this, but these I have atleast some
knowledge of.