XML + Asterisk (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] PHP Gui for Asterisk (AGI questions))

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Mar 18 10:36:25 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 11:00, Stefano Finetti wrote:
> Wow...
>
> I really didn't mean to create this kind of discussion ;-)
>
> Anyway, i think that the best way without having Mark change something in *,
> to make the php script that can with an appropriate set of classes, able to
> read the extensions.conf and the voicemail.conf and to use temporary files
> for editing and only if the amendments are confirmed, write down the new
> extensions.conf in the * format.
>
> I don't like XML for *, and the problem with MySQL is just a "real-time" or
> "not-real-time"  updating problem.
>
> I think i'll have php and mysql work to store extensions data at given
> times, and the php will be able to read from mysql the extensions, write in
> Mysql the amendments and, at given times, syncronize the files (to be
> flagged "modified" by php).

Let me suggest you use one of the database abstraction layers for php so
as to avoid the annoying rewrite later for those who use different
databases.

My reason here comes from the fact that while mysql may not need much in
the way of resources to accomplish what you propose, it is still
resources that may not need to be shared when one already has a database
to deploy on. I've been burned by mysql not being up to par on a heavy
loaded system. I've also been burned by running mysql and postgres on
the same machine due to the inefficiencies of the mysql scheduler and
postgres trying to conserve when under load.

I do not mean this to be a flame of mysql, just as support for using a
database abstration layer.