[Asterisk-Users] Iax or not iax?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Mar 15 10:58:53 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 16:40, Stefano Finetti wrote:
> I've two offices that will share a single E1 PRI connection on the main one,
> and will use, internally,, ip phones by Cisco (7905 H.323).
>
> I was wondering if it's better to install asterisk on both machines (the
> main office and the remote one) or if I can (since the two linux box are
> connected via permanent VPN tunnel) use a single asterisk installation in
> junction with the OpenH323 Gatekeeper (Gnugk) to use both the telephones on
> the main and the remote office.
>

> Since I use H.323 with login based on userid and not via IP address, i think
> i'll be able to avoid the second asterisk installation...
>
> Something like this:
>
>                 E1 PRI (outside World)
> IP Phones ----- Asterisk -----VPN ------LinuxBox------ IP Phones(remote)
>                 Gnu-GK -------   -----------/
>

> Both the offices will use the E100P and the ISDN PRI to call outside, while
> they will stai in H.323 context when calling internally.
>
> Do you have any suggestion or advice about that kind of solution?
> Since I've not started installing the machines yet, I'm open to any
> modification on my plans ;-)

Since I doubt the Cisco phones support GSM, and asterisk doesn't support
G723 or G729, then you should probably go ahead and install an asterisk
system at the remote site so it can do compression on the WAN. The
compression will buy you more data bandwidth or more calls. Not to
mention local call setup will not have to ride the WAN to find out they
are going to the next room over.