[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 Echo

Mike Reiling miker at mac.com
Fri Mar 14 11:42:15 MST 2003

Hello everyone,
	I finally got my Cisco 7960.  Seems like a very nice phone.  I have it
configured for SIP and working with asterisk.  But, I am having some
echo problems.  The person I call does not hear an echo, but I hear my
own voice echo back to me about .5 seconds later (maybe a little less).
  Does not matter if I call an internal Zap extension, or outbound over
my X100P.  I changed the codecs, around and the one that gives the
least amount of echo is g729a.

It is plugged in my office, but my asterisk server is in the attic,
with a wireless link.  Could that be a problem.  There is very minimal
latency.  A traceroute from the phone shows this:

SIP Phone> traceroute cartman
traceroute to cartman(192.168.100.3), 30 hops and 40 byte packets
SIP Phone>
    1)    192.168.100.3     10ms    1ms   10ms

The server is a celeron 433.  Should I toss a faster processor at the
computer, or is it the wireless link?  I can't really image it being
the wifi link, as VOIP works over the internet, with much higher
latency.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike