[Asterisk-Users] Basic help

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Mar 10 22:43:37 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 23:14, asterisk wrote:
> I've read the FAQ and I've printed out the handbook and read it thru
> but I can't get hold of a basic concept.
>
> How do I connect extensions to the system.
>
> Eg I have 2 analogue telco line I gather I need 2 analgue board to
> handle them and bring calls into my system.

Yes, 2 X100P adapters will work here.

> Question 1. Can I use normal analogue handsets if so do they also go
> into similar analogue boards ?

Similar, but not the same. You can try to use the USB adapter, or if you
wait shortly you will be able to get the 4 port FXS card.

> Question 2. Can I use sound cards & head sets in LAN connected PC?

Yes, you will lose a litle of the special features since you will most
likely be using some form of VoIP protocol.

> Question 3. My only previous telephony experience has been with
> Dialogix boards. Can they be used with Asterisk ?

Dialogic is only available for a additional cost from digium to offset
the lack of gpl drivers and library.

> I know I should have been able to deduce the answers from the
> documentation but I couldn't. Any help gratefully received.

Not necessarily from the documentation, but from the archives maybe.