[Asterisk-Users] iconnect quality?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Mar 10 13:33:20 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 13:47, Dan Fernandez wrote:
> Iconnect uses codecs g723 and g711 that can be configured for each account
> (you can change them by the 7777 prefix)
>
> With their dialer and g723 I can here just fine (I  have a 64k broadband
> connection). With their dialer and g711 the quality suffers greatly.
>
> With * and GSM I cannot here anything (and don´t know if they can here me).
> The call gets logged on  iconnect´s CDR. Upon looking at the SIP debug
> everything appears just fine, but again, I cannot hear anything.

g711 is 8 bit 8khz, or 64Kbit of audio data alone without the overhead
of TCP/IP nor SIP. 64Kbit is not broadband, it is a DS0. It may be a tad
over dial up, but please don't consider it broadband.

This would explain your quality problem, you fill the link in the first
set of samples, and the rest is queued up and therefore does not arrive
like a stream should. Each fram probably adds a millisecond or more to
the stream and soon enough you are so starved for audio data that it
should give up.