[Asterisk-Users] a few good questions.....

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Mar 10 09:43:54 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 01:05, Tener, Stuart B., IT3 , USNR-R wrote:
> Asterisk users:
>
> 	Okay, I am thinking about getting ready to start an asterisk
> server to use for a home phone system.
>
> 	(a) Does anyone have a T1 card for sale used?

Doubt it as once you have a T1 setup, only being so broke you are
selling off parts would get it away from the person.

> 	(b) Can a Carrier Access channel bank work okay with Asterisk?

Yes, I have a ADIT600 at home and office.

> 	(c) Anyone have an ADTRON 750 for sale?

Not me, but maybe someone else. I think Digium can get new ones for you.
Don't forget ebay if the price is a concern and support isn't.

> 	(d) Where can I find a good deal on a rack mount panel of RJ45
> CAT-5 jacks (24 to 48 jacks on the panel)?

I don't think there is such a thing as a good deal unless you recycle
it.

I found mine at our local contractor shop. www.graybar.com

> 	(f) Is RedHat with Linux 2.4.20 okay for Asterisk?

Redhat will suffice, but I believe you have seen my rant before on
redhat so it will not be repeated here. If you need a refresher it is in
the archive.

> 	(g) What hardware requirements are there that I should look out
> for?

This depends mainly on how much mp3 and voip you want to support. Ifyou
are all TDM then I think a 500mhz machine will handle it fine. Of course
with the cost of hardware what it is now, it is best to start at around
1ghz or better.

> 	(h) If I have a Cisco 2600, how can I interface an ADTRON 750 to
> it for use with Asterisk while eliminating the need for the Asterisk T1
> Card?

I doubt you can without spending a lot of money to be legit with cisco
using voip as you connector between your asterisk server and the cisco
so the cisco could put it on the T1. If you don't need the cisco, you
might be able to put it on ebay and get enough money for the Digium
hardware you want.