[Asterisk-Users] Full-Duplex on Voice Modem

Mathew Frank mathewfrank at qushi.com
Sun Mar 9 22:11:53 MST 2003

> > I've managed to configure my generic rockwell voice modem with asterisk
and
> > can make calls out to the PSTN through it.  Thing is I get one way
voice.
> > Is this a problem with the voice modem not being capable of full-duplex
> > voice, or is it the voice modem channel driver for asterisk?
> >
> > Anyone know what is required to get this working as being in Australia,
it's
> > hard to get cheap analog hardware to link to the PSTN and being able to
> > stick a couple of voice modems in a box would be a nice way of doing it.
>
> Half duplex audio is a side effect of moving the data on a serial line
> with AT commands. Look at the archives to see past comments on it.

Not exactly.

Fully duplex audio (AT VTR mode) is available on PCI hardware modems.
Specifically the Banska/Netcomm  iNTRA released in 1999 (for which drivers
are part of standard 2.4 kernel)   This comes in a 2, 4 and 8 port version
on PCI and comes with an onboard processor.   It is capable of running up to
8 cards in a single machine - giving 64 ports in total.

It was designed in part for use in IVR systems.

If a full-duplex modem channel is not developped soon then it is something I
will be doing medium term when we need this in Australia and NZ branch
offices.

Cheers,
Mathew