[Asterisk-Users] ATA186 (was Windows XP client?)

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Sat Mar 8 15:39:01 MST 2003

--On Saturday, March 8, 2003 5:12 pm -0500 Jim Archer <jim at archer.net>
wrote:

> The Cisco ATA 186 is installed at the subscriber`s premises and supports
> two voice ports, each with its own independent phone number.
>
> But there seemed to be something about the licensing that prohibited the
> use of the second port?

Both ports work "out of the box" without the need for additional software.
Other posts suggest the licencing applies mainly to Cisco CallManager which
is not used with asterisk :-)

> Also, is this device completely compatible with Asterisk?

A lot of us have found it to be so.

> Could I use it to have two separate extensions?

Yes - providing that you use the basic ulaw compression on both phones.

> Will it display caller ID on an analog phones display?

Sorry - don't know.

  Iain