[Asterisk-Users] X100P question about odd behavior

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Mar 6 22:14:16 MST 2003

I can't speak for the x100p in particular but when a phone jack in an
arrangement like that has 4wires (2pair) the second pair is normally just
passed straight through from the line to the phone jack. This may be used
to supply power to the phones for lighted dials etc, supply end of line
resistors to ensure circuit integrity, pass a second line straight through
on the same cable, or various other scenarios. Normally though you will
only find single pair cable supplied with the device as the patch cable so
using that effectively limits your options on the second pair right away.

Again I have not actually tested the x100p, but I would assume in offhook
mode the phone jack is disconnected from the line jack, but I could be
wrong here, I have seen devices that handle this both ways (jacks in
parallel and jacks interrupted when off hook.)

The usual way to tell is there are 2 relays in the type that disconnect the
phone jack from the line jack when off hook (one is the disconnector, and
one is the hookswitch), but that is just a clue, not a guarantee.