[Asterisk-Users] IPv4...NAT...etc

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Mar 5 20:55:24 MST 2003

At 08:30 PM 3/5/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Jon Pounder (JonP at inline.net) wrote:
> > >all these problems ?"
> > >
> > >I doubt that users will stop using NAT until ISPs stop charging
> > >per address for SOHO customers.
> >
> > and if ipv6 made the addresses much more freely available your isp could
> > afford to dish out all you could ever want on a $20/month connection.
> >
> > The ip's are not just free to the ISP, there is a cost associated with
> them
> > each year in addition to the bandwidth you use. Not to mention it makes
> > routing rules more complex the more ips an isp has to deal with in
> separate
> > groups.

The philosophy we use is charge by the amount of transfer, and make it as
easy as possible for everyone to do lots of transfer. Whether that means
more ips, no bandwidth cap, letting people run whatever they want (not spam
but other legitimate things), etc. They could push through 20gb of pure 0's
for all I care if they want to pay for it that's fine with me.

>I think the main reason ISPs want to charge more for static IPs is that
>with static IPs you can run servers.  If you run servers, you are going
>to use more bandwidth (read: "expensive resources").  Ergo, they pass
>the expense on to you - the BUSINESS customer.

normally if you read the fine print in a residential contract, they will
charge you extra if you go beyond their transfer limit for your account, so
why do they care how you use it ?

In most cases they are not even really setup to monitor transfer accurately
(and by using dynamic ips they just made their own work more difficult.)

But you can run a server from a dynamic ip - it just takes dynamic dns as
well.
However, again if everyone had all the static ips they wanted, none of this
extra kludging would be necessary.