[Asterisk-Users] Voice based FAQ and support system?

Martin Pycko martinp at digium.com
Mon Mar 3 15:49:56 MST 2003

> I need a system that can:
>
> - Accept phone calls and give a greeting
That's basically playing back a voice file

> - Allow users to select to either leave a message for callback or browse
> FAQs
IVR menu

> - Present a multi-level voice menu a user can use to drill down to find
> their answers in categories of answers
IVR menu

> - If they leave a message send an email to let someone know
Normal voicemail feature.

> - If they leave a message record as much data about the call, like caller
> ID, time, duration and so on
Asterisk is configured to deliver that. Look at one of my voicemail
messages:

        Just wanted to let you know you were just left a 0:18 long message
(number 1)
in mailbox 6161 from "Install Support" <9547097232>, on Wednesday,
February 12,
2003 at 08:31:10 AM so you might
want to check it when you get a chance.  Thanks!

> - Let users pick up their messages by dialing in, or ideally via a web
> interface or other Internet based interface.
We have a simple www interface to listen to messages. One can
also retrieve a message via a certain, defined extension.

> At first, I would need only one phone line, but as the company grows I may
> need multiple incoming phone lines.  I would like to avoid a T1 as that
> would be quite expensive.  I would prefer to use just ordinary phone POTS
> lines, at least for now.
It's always better to use T1. There are a few problems with analog lines.

> Also, I see I could probably use the same system for a company phone
> system, as this is what its designed for.  Can ordinary phones be plugged
> into it somehow?  I don't mind buying hardware, as it would be cheaper than
Yes, by using a channel bank, digium FXS card or FXS-SIP devices (for
example: ATA186)

> the answering service!
Sure it would :)

regards