[Asterisk-Users] Voice based FAQ and support system?

Jim Archer jim at archer.net
Sun Mar 2 20:02:41 MST 2003

Hi All...

I have been looking around for a system that will allow me to deploy a
phone based voice support system.  I have been spending money on answering
services and am finally fed up with them.

I would like to deploy on Debian Linux.

After searching the Internet I found Asterisk, which seems to be the most
flexible (and complex) of the free offerings.  I read the Asterisk users
manual and have to admin I was more than a bit confused.  I have experience
with Linux and am an experienced software engineer, so I can probably catch
on after a few more reads, but I have a few really simple questions I hope
someone can answer.

I need a system that can:

- Accept phone calls and give a greeting

- Allow users to select to either leave a message for callback or browse
FAQs

- Present a multi-level voice menu a user can use to drill down to find
their answers in categories of answers

- If they leave a message send an email to let someone know

- If they leave a message record as much data about the call, like caller
ID, time, duration and so on

- Let users pick up their messages by dialing in, or ideally via a web
interface or other Internet based interface.

At first, I would need only one phone line, but as the company grows I may
need multiple incoming phone lines.  I would like to avoid a T1 as that
would be quite expensive.  I would prefer to use just ordinary phone POTS
lines, at least for now.

Also, I see I could probably use the same system for a company phone
system, as this is what its designed for.  Can ordinary phones be plugged
into it somehow?  I don't mind buying hardware, as it would be cheaper than
the answering service!

Thanks!

Jim