[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 protocol

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Sun Mar 2 16:04:44 MST 2003

> 	Currently, we're using most of libiax right now, and would
> probably want to pick up these changes at some point.  If you updated
> libiax to iax2, that would work, but what might be more interesting
> would be if there was a common codebase with parts of the IAX2
> implementation that would be useful both from within asterisk itself,
> as well as from other clients.

The idea is to port libiax to iax2 and preserve the same function calls
(we might add some additional ones to support the new iax2 features).

> 	Any ideas on whether it makes sense to share any protocol
> implementation from inside and outside of asterisk, and/or if you plan
> on incorporating your changes into libiax?

It's not really practical to share the protocol implementation between
libiax and asterisk (because especially with IAX it's so tightly coupled
with Asterisk).  However, it is the plan to update libiax.  The reason
we're addressing the IAX2 changes at this time is because SNOM is planning
on visiting in April to add IAX support to the SNOM phone and we want to
be sure we have the best protocol for them to integrate.

Although I like the libiax interface, the implementation needs a lot of
work (especially on the number of malloc() calls).  I'd like to encourage
you to work with us to make sure that when we rework libiax that it fits
with your needs as well, and also to be sure that any features you need in
IAX2 get implemented now during the design phase.

Mark