[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 protocol

Steve Kann stevek at SteveK.COM
Sun Mar 2 15:03:42 MST 2003

Mark,

	As you know, we're developing a new set of clients using IAX,
and some of these enhancements and changes are relevant even for user
clients (as opposed to asterisk <-> asterisk communications).  (I've
mentioned this on the list before, but for list-recipients interested,
the work can be found at http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/).

	Currently, we're using most of libiax right now, and would
probably want to pick up these changes at some point.  If you updated
libiax to iax2, that would work, but what might be more interesting
would be if there was a common codebase with parts of the IAX2
implementation that would be useful both from within asterisk itself,
as well as from other clients.

	Any ideas on whether it makes sense to share any protocol
implementation from inside and outside of asterisk, and/or if you plan
on incorporating your changes into libiax?

-SteveK

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 01:25:05PM -0600, Mark Spencer wrote:
> I have committed my first stab at chan_iax2.  IAX2 is a work in progress
> and is designed to fix some of the original design limitations of the
> first IAX protocol.  This runs on a separate port number (4569) so it will
> not affect any of your existing IAX connections.  So far, here is a list
> of the features for IAX2:
>
>  * Separate ACK field to reduce the number of ACK messages required to be
> sent
>
>  * Uses Information Elements (IE's) instead of strings for communicating
> information, thus increasing security and simplifying interoperability.
>
>  * Retransmissions have an extra bit set so that their timestamps are
> /not/ used for calculating the jitter buffer.
>
>  * Enhanced transfer support
>
>  * Message waiting indicator support
>
>  * Intercom support/paging support built-in
>
>  * Optional silence suppression built-in.
>
> Some of these are implemented already, some will come in the coming days,
> but again the protocol should be considered up in the air.  I am happy to
> hear from other people about any suggestions they have for the protocol.
> Once the code is finished, I will be making an internet draft like
> document for this protocol (although I doubt seriously that the IETF is
> going to be interested in another VoIP protocol, although you never know).
>
> As usual, if you  have questions or comments feel free to contact me on or
> off list or on irc (irc.freenode.net in #asterisk, i am kram)
>
> Mark

  Steve Kann - Chief Engineer - 520 8th Ave #2300 NY 10018 -  (212) 533-1775
                HorizonLive.com - collaborate . interact . learn
   "The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed Linux."