[Asterisk-Users] Help! Problems talking to upstream switch

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jun 29 22:04:19 MST 2003

Use 1 for timing. You actually do have a timing source to sync to.

As for slips and bipolar violations...
T1s are just high speed serial lines. A sleep is when you loose sync
with the far side and when you see a 1 come across the line, you may not
know which bit it was for. This would be a slip. Bipolar violations are
a part of the signaling, but can also be errors. A T1 alternates the
polarity of the 1 pulse to allow the line to run farther on lower
voltage. Just doing alternating polarity is AMI or Alternate Mark
Inversion. A bipolar violation is when a bit is received as the same
polarity as the last bit received. On an AMI line a bipolar violation is
an error. On a B8ZS, bipolar violations are intentionally inserted into
the line to keep the line from transmitting too many 0's in a row and
contributing to a slip. When set for B8ZS the "error" is somewhat
expected and ignored.