[Asterisk-Users] defaultip= in sip.conf doesnt work?

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Fri Jun 27 18:43:15 MST 2003

> In my experiences with Cisco 79xx phones, if you have
> "proxy_register: 1" set, then the phone will require a successful
> REGISTER transaction before it will give you dialtone.  Try setting
> that option to "0" and see what you get and if it works with
> "defaultip=" below.

The phone is running the firmware version 5.1 and always gives a
dialtone regardless of proxy_register. The problem is that if
proxy_register is 0, the phone always shows the unregistered icon next
to the line names. I would like the phone to register, but I would also
like an incoming call (from * to the phone) to work before the phone
registers. From the asterisk handbook v2 draft, defaultip= is supposed
to do this, but the setting does not seem to work. I did a tcpdump and
asterisk never sends a packet out to the ip specified by defaultip=
until the phone registers.

> PS: I assume you are talking only about calls from * -> 7960, as you
> have not mentioned any debugging that seems to be creating calls in
> the other direction.

Calls from the phone to * in the default context always work regardless
if the telephone is not yet registered - the same as any other unknown
SIP device. Of course, the phone has to register/authenticate to be
allowed to make calls in the context specified in the sip.conf entry for
it. The problem is that calls from * to a yet-unregistered SIP device
are not even attempted even when defaultip= is specified.

The only current alternative seems to be to set proxy_register to 0 so
the phone will not register, then specify host=<phone's ip> in sip.conf,
but the problem with this is that the phone shows the unregistered icons
next to the line labels (snom and 79XX - probably others)

John