[Asterisk-Users] IAX -> IETF draft ??

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Jun 27 09:29:33 MST 2003

On Friday 27 June 2003 01:40 am, Olaf Menzel wrote:
> In several VoIP projects I have very often been asked if IAX is
> already an IETF stanadard. I could not anwer this question and  I
> could not find any IETF draft about this protocol. Can you point me
> to the right location or do you know if Digium is going to publish
> the IAX protocol as a open standard in a near future ? They often
> argued we should not use proprietary protocols in our projects. A
> IETF draft would advance the acceptability of the IAX protocol the
> in the world wide internet and research community.

IAX is not an IETF standard.  However, it is an open protocol (i.e.
not proprietary), as all source is offered under an open source
license.  You may also license the IAX code with another license by
contacting Digium, or you may use a clean room approach to create
compatible code, under your own license.

-Tilghman