[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk vs. system user accounts

duncan duncan at impede.net
Wed Jun 25 08:16:54 MST 2003

>ODBC == BAD
>ODBC is the lowest common denominator for database connections. In this
>case a full blown database is overkill for lookups mainly. You don't
>need the whole SQL stuff. This is why LDAP would be okay, it essentially
>is a flat file that can be searched fast and remotely.

i think ODBC support would be very useful, exactly because it is the lowest
common denominator.  fairly recently i had to work with an IVR company who
wouldnt insert values into a database hosted at my location because their
application did not support ODBC - instead they offered to FTP individual
text files to an FTP server where I had to process them and insert them
into a database myself.  needless to say that company isnt getting any
business from me anytime in the near future.

ODBC is widely used and supported because its simple to use/support and
very widely supported.  ok technically its not a very elegant solution -
but as a business solution it is very powerful.

just my 2 cents...

duncan