[Asterisk-Users] Working Clients for Linux?

Moshe Yudkowsky speech at pobox.com
Tue Jun 24 11:17:32 MST 2003

All the clients that I'm aware of for IP telephony have drawbacks. Some
won't work at all.

KPHONE -- Kphone works best for me, but Kphone doesn't have a dialpad to
dial tones during the middle of the call, so the demo that * comes with
can't be run. Kphone (3.1, the latest) also has a habit of crashing if
you do something even mildly stressful, such as hang up while Kphone is
trying to connect.

LINPHONE -- Linphone does not work with ALSA, nor with ALSA's OSS
emulation. I've used pre-packaged version of Linphone and compiled my
own, using --enable-alsa to get it up and running. NOTE -- not all
versions of ALSA let you do this! There's a silent failure to compile --
check config.log to make certain that the ASOUND_H is defined.

GNOPHONE -- Gnophone also does not work with ALSA, although I haven't
yet tried to compile it from a tarball/CVS. With ALSA version 0.9.4,
GnoPhone won't even give me a chance to configure the sound card. IIRC
GnoPhone did work with 0.9.2 and possibly 0.9.3.

1. I invite comments from people who can get these clients to work with
ALSA 0.9.4. I am working with the latest CVS of ALSA.

2. Are there other open-source clients that I've missed?

Regards,
  Moshe

P.S. I've fiddled with the CVS versions only enough to get things to
compile. E.g., in linphone, configure.in must be changed to find
<alsa/asoundlib.h> instead of <sys/asoundlib.h>. Well, ok, I did add
-mfmath=sse to some of the Makefiles but that should be harmless enough...

--
  Moshe Yudkowsky * http://www.Disaggregate.com