[Asterisk-Users] new user here

Jordan Peterson jordan at bonmail.com
Sun Jun 22 13:51:58 MST 2003

Asterisk is becoming familiar to me, like getting a few friends after
moving to a different town, but I have had problems with modems from the
getgo on this.

Originally I wanted to do a voicemail system, but now I'm reading more
and more that excites me to use this setup and or add to it.

I started out with a USR 56k voice/internal that supports 4bit 8Khz
voice playback only to find that I had to change a line in
chan_modem_aopen.c from "AT#VBS=8" to "AT#VBS=4" in order for asterisk
to load up using that channel.

I then didn't have the console driver running because I didn't have a
sound card installed, so I then installed OpenH323 to accept the VoIP or
similar calls to try out this system.  While everything seems to work
over an IP, I then knew that the GSM files were not corrupt or
unplayable, etc, etc..  So knew the modem was having a problem pushing
the voice gsm files.

So then I found another modem (A Conexant 56k voice, etc,etc) that
supported the AT#VBS=8 command (for 8bit voice playback), returned the
chan_modem_aopen.c back to "AT#VBS=8" and executed "asterisk -vvvc",
called it and still no playback of "demo-congrats" or whatever the file
is as listed in the extensions.conf.  I know this system works, but what
is the matter with GSM on ISA modems?  Do I just have the wrong
equipment?  I know there are better pieces of equipment that are made
for this, but what can I do for now with everyday voice modems?  Should
I try a motorola sm56 voice soft modem?  What are the compliances I am
not seeing that are necessary to play gsm over the voice modem?

Thanks

--
Jordan

In a world without windows, who needs gates?