[Asterisk-Users] PRI & BRI question

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Jun 21 09:30:28 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 07:39, firedude at shorelinuxsolutions.com wrote:
> Greetings all,
> As most of you probably know from my previous questions on the list, I'm
> still in the newbie category.  My question today is pretty brief, as I
> told you all a few weeks ago I ordered a PRI from Verizon.  I understand
> that there is a "B" channel that comes with this.  The question is just
> what can I use this "B" channel for and how???

PRI has 1 D channel and 23 B channels. The D channel is a data channel,
bu this data channel is a point to point with your telco and is used to
pass all the signalling data. The B channels are bearer and can bear
voice or data. When a B channel is in data mode, it is basically a point
to point 64K serial line. This is why there is a ZapRAS app in asterisk
to turn a channel into a ISDN PPP link.