[Asterisk-Users] New Module app_perl

Anthony Minessale anthmct at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 14:19:39 MST 2003

ok forget it ....

I was telling a story of what inspired me to write this module
that embeds a perl interpreter into the asterisk process and
to see if anyone was interested in it (IT'S AN EXPERIMENT)
What I get are several replies telling me to RTFM and I would no longer need to solve the problem that inspired my original idea.

Does it matter if my original problem could be resolved
by RTFM or not?.  I'm glad I did'nt't or I would never have gotten the
Idea since the end-result is barely related to that problem.

Testing expressions in variables is not even the reason to use the module
the module allows you to run perl code from within and perform
a whole bunch of tasks using perl  (RTFM) The example I put
in the README just happens to show how to perform an eval
on an expression using the new perl functionality the module
implements

 I could just as easily show an example how to
connect to a database on startup and create extensions
on the fly or how to make a web server that runs inside asterisk
(If any of these already are possible sorry again for being inventive or for wanting to do it in perl whichever you want to hang me for.)

Sheesh

Please don't bother to further discern what I did and did not read
or to look for a typo and flame me for it. This list gets enough traffic as it is  and there is no need to waste bandwidth to tell me  I don't totally
know how to work asterisk cos I already know I'm simply playing with it.

I only have 2 weeks total experience with asterisk so I can tell
you in advance I have a ton of docs to read.  I just thought
I'd share my findings so far since I was under the impression this was a forum. sorry......