[Asterisk-Users] strace shows that files are not accessed

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Jun 13 18:49:46 MST 2003

On Friday 13 June 2003 18:09, Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
> strace on file access in asterisk shows that * is not even attempting
> to access the voice files.
>
> If I *manually* load app_playback.so, app_macro.so, and then
> pbx_config.so, I they will load and I get a dialplan. Ok, that's a
> problem -- autoconf is clearly not working, or there's some other
> related issue.

Are you using keyword "autoload=yes" in the [modules] section of
/etc/asterisk/modules.conf?  Not "autoconf".

> So I try to use the demo and do "dial 500". This should connect and
> play the demo's intro file. I've gotten this to work in the past.
>
> Instead I get the following warnings:
> > WARNING[180236]: File file.c, Line 418 (ast_openstream): File
> > demo-abouttotry does not exist in any format WARNING[180236]: File
> > file.c, Line 561 (ast_streamfile): Unable to open demo-abouttotry
> > (format 64): Success WARNING[180236]: File app_playback.c, Line 83
> > (playback_exec): ast_streamfile failed on OSS/dsp for
> > demo-abouttotry WARNING[180236]: File pbx.c, Line 1133
> > (pbx_extension_helper): No application 'Dial' for extension (local,
> > 500, 2)

It's looking for the file in signed linear 8000Hz format (.wav).  If you
have the sound file in some other format, it's not going to find it.  If
the recording is in gsm format, then you need to make sure that
format_gsm.so and codec_gsm.so are loaded.

> Now the file demo-abouttotry is save in the sounds directory.

In what format?  What's the extension?

> Furthermore, the output of strace, which faithfully recorded every
> other file access, shows that the system does not even attempt to
> open the demo-abouttotry file.

-Tilghman