[Asterisk-Users] New Asterisk System

Steve Lorimer steve at kmbc.edu
Wed Jun 11 12:27:40 MST 2003

Hello!

     I'm new to Asterisk, although I've had my eye on it for about a
year now.  I just recently installed in on RedHat 8 on a 2 GHZ system,
but the sound was choppy - presumably from the onboard sound card (I
read about that in the archives).
     So I stuck Asterisk on an old ISA system - 300 Mhz, 100 mb ram,
RedHat 8, and SoundBlaster 32.  While there was much improvement in the
playback quality (the default greeting setup that comes with Asterisk),
there were a few choppy sections - certainly not acceptable to replace
our current phone system.  However, as I am not (yet :) a VOIP &
Asterisk expert, I would like some input from those of you who are
successfully using Asterisk.
     1.  What would a good demo system consist of for about 5 - 10 VOIP
clients?  (speed, memory, sound card, etc.)
     2.  What would a good operational system consist of for about 120
end user analog phones coming in to a Digium card through channel banks,
and about 20 to 30 VOIP clients?  (speed, memory, sound card, etc.)

     I would like to replace our old phone system with Asterisk if it is
feasible.  I'm also looking for answers from people who have/are
successfully using Asterisk as a PBX.

Thanks for your help!
Steve Lorimer <slorimer<A T>kmbc.edu>
IT/IS Manager